Support a 2nd Team is an aspiration by sportscotland for a programme of events to engage the cultures of Commonwealth Countries and further develop links with Commonwealth regions which was promoted as part of Glasgow’s bid, providing an opportunity as part of the wider Games Legacy. The intention is to have a flexible programme providing opportunities for creating partnerships with participating Commonwealth Games countries. Local partners are encouraged to become involved and to explore opportunities that can integrate and enhance work they are already undertaking. sportscotland is leading the development of the initiative through a co-ordinated approach in conjunction with Glasgow 2014, Commonwealth Games Associations (CGAs), local partners and Education Scotland.
THE PRINCIPLE AIMS ARE TO:
1. Provides the opportunity for competing teams, particularly the small teams with limited resources and little travelling support, to be supported by local partners, bringing the Games closer to local communities with mutual benefits between countries and local partners.
2. Enhances the Games experience for participating countries and local communities throughout Scotland.
1. International links established between community sports clubs / coaches / voluntary groups
2. Wider links to local participation programmes to inspire and develop participation in sport through ‘Games for Scotland’ (Active Games
in Dumfries & Galloway)
3. Children and communities across Scotland encouraged to support competing athletes of their 2nd team at Glasgow 2014
4. Links with any Pre-Games Training Camps
5. Learning outcomes and development opportunities for young people within schools by embedding Glasgow 2014 within / alongside the Curriculum for Excellence
6. An enhanced identity and reputation for Scotland and its towns/cities as a welcoming and friendly country to participating Commonwealth Games Associations, athletes, teams, families and supporters.
7. Enhanced educational exchange programmes
Dumfries & Galloway were allocated the following two nations as their second teams to support:
Northern Ireland (Europe) & Grenada (Carribean)